Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you make a purchase. You can read our full disclosure here.
Delicious, authentic-style marinara sauce combined with homemade meatballs for the best spaghetti and meatballs recipe you’ll ever try.
Spaghetti used to be one of my least favorite meals as a child. My dad still jokes with me about it. It was made frequently and it was never very good. I don’t know why I didn’t like it, I guess it was plain. It lacked flavor. Yet, it was served often so, I’d turn up my nose and begrudgingly eat it.
In adulthood, I’ve realized how frugal spaghetti can be. I’ve also realized that my kids will eat this stuff until there isn’t any more. They love it. And for this mama, if they’ll eat something without complaint and ask for seconds that’s a total win in my book.
They’ll gladly come help me make bountiful messes in the kitchen to throw this awesome dish together. Then, they will happily eat it smearing adorable tomato sauce stains all over their beautiful faces. This is the kind of family meal you dream of. It’s simple, it brings together the whole family and it’s just fun to enjoy watching your children slurp spaghetti noodles around the supper table.
If you have a strong dislike for spaghetti, as I did when I was a child, you have to give this stuff a shot. It takes all of those bad, terrible feelings of that tasteless jarred stuff and replaces them with fond memories, delicious smells, and a full, happy belly. You will enjoy it to the last slurp.
We have enjoyed this dish for several years and I’m just now getting around to sharing it with you, which is a real shame. But here I am… sharing the deliciousness. You can almost taste the stuff, am I right?
It’s best enjoyed with a tall glass of wine and some amazing crusty Italian bread (which I just realized I haven’t shared with you either… I need to get on the ball).
The absolute best spaghetti and meatballs. Italian-inspired spices coupled with a tomato base and delicious meatballs made with ground beef and full of spice.
For the Sauce:
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Pint Tomato Paste
- 1 Pint Beef Broth
- 1 Quart Diced Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- Dash Dried Basil
- 2 Tablespoons Sucanat (or sugar)
For the Meatballs:
- 1 Lb Ground Beef, (grass fed is best)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
For the Sauce:
- Chop up your onion and garlic. Throw some olive oil in a large stock pot and heat it up. Toss the onion and garlic in and allow it to cook until the onion is just limp.
- Add the tomato paste and beef broth. Stir Until smooth
- Add the remaining ingredients to the sauce.
- Allow sauce to simmer over low, uncovered, while you get the meatballs together.
For the Meatballs:
- Throw all of your ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat over medium speed with mixer fitted with paddle attachment until well blended.
- Roll mixture up into golf-ball sized balls.
- Drop the meatballs into a pan of olive oil and brown.
- Throw them into the simmering sauce.
- Simmer, on low, covered, for 2-3 hours. Stirring occasionally so it doesn't scorch the bottom of the pan.
- Serve over hot noodles.
Absolutely the best smelling food ever. It tastes better than it smells. Oh so good. Alright, time to go simmer some.