Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I may earn money or products from any of the companies mentioned in this post. I only recommend products and services I trust to serve you. Purchasing through an affiliate link comes at no extra cost to you. You can learn more here.
Loaded Potato Soup
- 3 Lbs Red Potatoes diced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 4 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Milk
- 12 oz American Cheese from the deli
- 1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
- Crispy Cooked Bacon
- Fresh Green Onions chopped
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- Wash your potatoes and dice them into 1/4" cubes. Go ahead and throw them into a stock pot and cover with a quart of chicken broth.
- Put the potatoes on to boil. Once they reach a boil, boil for seven minutes, then drain. Set aside and allow the steam to dissipate.
- After you get your potatoes started, grab a 5 quart pot. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in the pot over low heat. Whisk in flour until it makes a thick paste.
- After you've made your roux, begin adding the cream bits at a time waiting until the liquid is thickened before adding more. Add 1 cup of milk a bit at a time. Then, add the 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Once you've added all the liquid to your roux, slowly add cubed american cheese to the cream mixture. Stir until the cheese is melted and then add more. Once you've added all of the cubed american cheese, add 1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar. Stir.
- Add hot pepper sauce, white pepper, garlic powder and salt to the cream and cheese mixture. Stir throughly.
- Now, add your finished, drained, and slightly cooled potatoes to the mixture. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While the soup is cooking, throw some bacon in a pan and cook until crisp. Crumble up bacon and chop some fresh green onions.
- Top the soup with chopped green onions, crumbled crispy bacon and some more shredded sharp cheddar.