Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you make a purchase. You can read our full disclosure here.
This delicious spiced pear chutney is a simple recipe that wonderfully pairs together fruit and fall-inspired spices like cinnamon and ginger. Perfect for topping pork and poultry.
Pears are an underutilized fruit, in my opinion. Everyone is all about the apples, and apples are delicious, don’t get me wrong. But pears? Pears are a wonderful fruit. You can make tons of things with pears, but my favorite by far is spiced pear chutney.
If you’re like me you generally slather your pork chops in some gravy, pair it with a side of mashed potatoes and maybe a bit of corn and it’s good. Comfort food at its finest right there. But, when you discover that instead of that you can top your chops (or poultry) with the deliciousness that is pear chutney? Your tastebuds will never look at pork chops the same way ever again.
Now, I love a good smothered pork chop with some pan gravy. And I won’t pass up a delicious fried pork chop covered in white gravy, either. Nor will I pass a delicious herb-crusted chicken breast. But, those white meat dishes smothered in this delicious spiced pear chutney take the comfort food deliciousness to the next level.
This stuff will make your home smell like a beautiful fall day indoors. The spices and pears meld together to make the most amazing smell you’ve ever smelled. I love the smell of fresh baked apples, but this tops it. It smells absolutely divine, and it tastes even better.
It’s really easy to make and despite my kids funny faces when I had them try it on their pork chops, they loved it. It has just the right amount of spice coupled with fresh pears to make it amazing. Add it on some savory chops or chicken and they just blend together really, really well.
Tools I used in This Recipe:
Delicious pears coupled with fall inspired spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to make a delicious pear chutney perfect for topping your pork chops and poultry.
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 4 Pears, peeled and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- In a medium saucepan, add oil. Add shallot and sauté over medium heat until soft and translucent. About 2 minutes.
- Once shallot is sautéed, add apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and spices. Whisking constantly, bring it to a boil and remain whisking until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Next, add Pears and bring mixture to a boil. Boil continuously for 3 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Once mixture is thickened, add in raisins, stir to incorporate and remove from heat.