I am a candle fanatic. I enjoy the scents and they do a great job of ridding (actually just covering up) any pungent odor I can throw their way. There’s a slight problem, though. They’re not good for you. There are a couple of reasons why they aren’t. First, most commercially manufactured candles are made from paraffin wax and scented with artificial scents. Secondly, while most candle manufacturers have agreed to no longer use lead wicks, there’s always the chance that the wick does have a lead center, especially if that candle was imported.
Paraffin is dangerous
Paraffin is a petroleum byproduct from crude oil being refined into fuel. It is chemically processed and whitened with bleach in order to make it useable. It produces soot, that soot becomes airborne particles inside your home that can be equated to the fumes of burning diesel fuel. No thank you!!
Natural alternative to paraffin wax
While I didn’t have a desire to stop burning candles, I didn’t want lead and diesel fumes floating all over our home either. There are a few natural alternatives out there, including soy. We choose not to use soy products in our family because most soy is genetically modified and has a whole list of issues all on its own. So, we decided that beeswax was the choice for us!
Beeswax candles are completely natural and have the added benefit of reducing positive ions in the air. If science isn’t your strong point, what that means is burning a beeswax candle naturally cleans your air!
How to Make Beeswax Candles
These easy DIY beeswax candles will have you making beautiful candles for your home and friends with ease and without the toxic chemical risk of artificially scented candles at the store.
- Place your pound of beeswax into the pitcher. If you have a big 1 pound block, you may need to chop it up a bit.
- Place pitcher full of beeswax into a pan filled with a couple inches of water.
- Melt beeswax over medium heat. Keep an eye on your beeswax, and never heat it over high heat. Beeswax is highly flammable and we don't want any unexpected kitchen fires!
- While it is melting, go ahead and get the wicks ready. The wicks should be about 2 inches taller than the jar you're using, so roughly 6 inches long for half pint sized jars.
- Once the beeswax is beginning to melt, dip your wicks, one at a time, into the wax. Coat them up to about your fingers at the tip, all the way to the bottom. Set these aside on a piece of wax paper to dry.
- Once the beeswax is almost completely melted, you can add the cup of coconut oil to melt it.
- Once melted, pour about 3/4 inch of wax into each of the jars one at a time. Once the wax is poured, immediately set your wick into the center of the jar. Hold it in place until the wax has hardened enough to keep it there. Repeat with all of the jars and set them aside to harden completely. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Finish pouring the wax into the jars, leaving about an inch of headspace at the top.
- Place a popsicle stick along the top of the jars and secure the wicks, carefully, with a clothes pin to keep them in place in the center of the candle. Do not pull on the wicks, they'll likely come out of the soft wax.
- Leave the jars to cool for 24 hours, then cut the wicks to 1/2". Light and enjoy.
You should burn the candles at least 2 hours before blowing them out. This helps with the tunneling. If they do tunnel, you can remelt the wax and use it again the next time you make candles!
That’s it! Not too bad, huh? They give off a light honey scent and naturally clean my air. I know that there isn’t any lead in the wicks because I used cotton braided wicks!
Are you looking for a group of like-minded people that love the heritage way of life??
Me too. Join our facebook group of over 13,000 like-minded individuals, where we learn about growing a garden, cooking a meal, and living life like our grandparents did. You’ll be glad you did. Join The Self Sufficient Life group here.