Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you make a purchase. You can read our full disclosure here.
I absolutely love making holiday goodies. There aren’t many things I find as enjoyable as working alongside my children making sweet temptations to indulge in. Christmas is a time of year that we overindulge in sweet stuff. We occasionally enjoy special treats throughout the year, but this time of year, we make a lot of goodies.
These buckeyes are a treat I used to make with my mom when I was a child. I loved making them, I really loved eating them. They’re probably one of my favorite treats. I may, or may not, occasionally be caught eating more than I probably should, especially since I’m pregnant. They’re worth it, though.
I know that buckeyes are pretty simple to make, but a lot of people don’t know how. They’re a little tricky to keep together while dipping them into the gooey, melted chocolate, but they’re not too difficult to get finished. They’re worth the trouble because what results is a delicious mix of sugary peanut butter and chocolatey bliss. It’s pure heaven melting in your mouth. Even better than a peanut butter cup, and that’s saying a lot.
Tricks to Make Your Peanut Butter Buckeyes
- First, when you measure your ingredients. Pack in your peanut butter and scoop it all out with a spatula.
- The other trick with ingredient measuring is to make sure you spoon out your confectioners sugar. So often people just jam the measuring cup right into the powdered sugar, which packs it down. You don’t want that. Just spoon it in, don’t pack, and lightly even out the cup with a knife. This keeps the ratio low enough that the peanut butter dough won’t be too crumbly and fall apart.
- When you get ready to dip, temper your chocolate. To do this, add all of the chips, withholding two tablespoons. Melt. Once the chocolate in the pan is melted, add the two withheld tablespoons and melt.
Peanut Butter Buckeyes
These delicious peanut butter buckeyes are really easy to make. Full of peanut butter balls surrounded by chocolate, they'll soon become your favorite holiday treat.
- 1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/4 Cup Butter room temp
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips melted
- Start by lining a large cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Beat peanut butter, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl with a stand mixer until smooth.
Gradually beat in sugar until well blended crumbles form.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls into 1 inch balls.
Range onto prepared cookie sheet and stick in refrigerator for at least an hour, until peanut butter balls are firm.
Melt chocolate on stovetop.
Pull peanut butter balls out of the refrigerator. Spear each ball with a toothpick and dip into melted chocolate cover 2/3rds of each ball.
- Arrange back onto waxed paper cookie sheet.
- Smooth over toothpick holes.
- Refrigerate about 15 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Store tightly covered in refrigerator.