This delicious beef cheese ball recipe is simple to make and makes the perfect appetizer for parties and potlucks. Full of cream cheese, beef, green onions, and a touch of salt don’t let its simplicity fool you, it’s the best-tasting cheese ball you’ll ever try.
I love quick, simple foods. Especially around the holidays. Every holiday, I make this delicious beef cheese ball, peanut butter buckeyes, frog balls, and pickled cranberries to use as appetizers before the meal.
But out of everything this super easy cheese ball is by far my favorite. It takes less than 15 minutes to make, has four ingredients, and everyone raves about it. In fact, it’s the most requested appetizer at our family gatherings.
Easy Beef and Onion Cheese Ball
I love how simple this recipe is. It seems as though it would be too simple, but it really isn’t. It’s so full of flavor. While a lot of recipes call for more ingredients, we love this one just the way it is… so simple.
I also love how all of the ingredients are actual food… no weird, funky stuff just real, bonafide food ingredients.
Cheese Ball Ingredients
- Softened Cream Cheese – while you could use reduced fat, I highly recommend regular cream cheese.
- Thinly Sliced Roast Beef – the higher the quality, the better tasting the cheese ball will be, dice it up.
- Green Onion – Finely diced.
- Salt – Just a pinch.
How to make a Beef and Onion Cheese Ball
It is so easy to make a homemade cheese ball! It takes just a few minutes from start to finish.
Combine the ingredients. First, beat the cream cheese until it’s smooth. Then, add the other ingredients and mix them in well.
Shape the cheese ball. Place the mixture on a plate and using your hands and a spatula shape the cheese ball into a ball.
Coat. If you prefer, I didn’t coat this particular cheese ball, but you can absolutely reserve some of the diced beef and green onions to coat the outside.
Serve immediately or tightly wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make ahead, storing, and freezing a cheese ball
One of my favorite things about this recipe is you can make it in advance.
To make ahead simply make the cheese ball as instructed, if you choose to coat it, wait until an hour before serving so the outside ingredients don’t turn. Store it in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator where it will keep up to one week, ultimately depending on the freshness of your ingredients.
To store leftovers, just place the beef cheese ball in an airtight container and put it in the fridge, again it should keep for one week.
To freeze place the cheese ball, uncoated, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap in an airtight container, and freeze it for up to a month. To thaw, place it in the refrigerator overnight and allow it to thaw.
Serving a Beef and Onion Cheese ball
Crackers are traditionally what you serve with a cheese ball, and they’re fantastic, but there are other things you can serve it with as well.
- Pretzels or pretzel crisps
- Tortilla chips
- Salami or more roast beef is a great option
Simple and delicious this beef and onion cheeseball only has a handful of ingredients but is packed with flavor. Perfect for a quick appetizer for your holiday party.
- 16 Oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 2/3 Cup Thinly Sliced Roast Beef (diced)
- 1/3 Cup Green Onion (diced)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix softened cream cheese until smooth. Add diced beef, diced onions, and salt and mix to combine.
- Using your hands and a spatula, shape the cheeseball into desired shape (ball, football, turkey, or otherwise). Coat with additional diced beef and onions if desired.
- Serve immediately or tightly wrap and serve later. Store, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to one week.
If you’re looking for ideas on how to reconnect with your food, nature, and the heritage way of life, you’ve come to the right place.
Join over 40,000 like-minded folks in my Facebook group, The Self Sufficient Life. You can join by clicking here.