Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you make a purchase. You can read our full disclosure here.
I never thought I would be a person who made all of their own personal care and beauty products. I used to mindlessly purchase soaps, shampoos, lotions, and toothpaste at the store right along with my box of cheese flavored crackers. I’m no longer that person, though. I have been making all of our own soaps and lotions for a while now, but I had yet to tackle toothpaste. I was happy purchasing fluoride-free toothpaste and going on about my business.
Then, in my typical researching craziness, I discovered something. Toothpaste is easy to make, and the right toothpaste, combined with a healthy real food diet, can even reverse tooth decay. Say what? Reverse tooth decay?! Yep. You sure can. When you think about it, it makes sense. Every other part of your body can heal itself, why not the teeth? Why would they be excluded from the amazing healing powers of your own body?
I have to tell you, I much prefer this over any toothpaste I’ve tried. It’s wonderful, my teeth naturally feel cleaner, my breath is fresher, and it has helped reverse dental decay! Yep, we’re getting healthier teeth just by making our own toothpaste! They are brighter, healthier, and remineralizing and we haven’t been using this paste for very long! My oldest daughter loves it, my youngest daughter isn’t a fan, so I’m trying to come up with a better, more child-friendly, flavoring combination for her. I haven’t yet, but I’m experimenting!
So, do you want healthier teeth? Have a cavity you would love to get rid of without having it drilled and filled? Trust me, it’s completely achievable. Make sure you’re eating a whole foods diet. You can look back at some of my posts on that transition, and be sure to check out the Weston A. Price website for more guidance! Add that with this amazing toothpaste and a bit of oil pulling (more on that later) and you’re good to go! Your teeth will thank you for it!
Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil (soft, not completely melted)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Bentonite Clay
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsCalcium Carbonate Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons magnesium powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Stevia Extract (be sure it is pure without any added anything)
- 10 Drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- squeeze tube or Glass Jar (if you use a glass jar, I recommend using a popsicle stick to dip it out)
- If your coconut oil is hard, place it into a small saucepan and gently soften it. It does not need to be completely melted, just melted enough to mix things into it. Think softened butter consistency.
- Add all of the ingredients into the coconut oil and stir throughly. Note: do not mix this in metal, stir it with metal, or store it in metal. Use plastic, silicon, or glass. Bentonite clay will react with metal and render it useless.
- After it’s all mixed, pour it into either your squeeze tube or a glass jar. Use a bit each time you brush and enjoy the benefits of it! It will help your teeth!!
That’s all there is to it! Isn’t that amazing. It literally only takes a few moments to mix together. It doesn’t last long in our house, but hey, that’s alright. The ingredients are a bit on the pricey side, but there’s enough to make a ton of toothpaste, You won’t run out of them any time soon. So, when you run out of paste, just whip up a new batch and voila!! Super easy!
Do you make your own toothpaste? I hope I’ve inspired you to try!