Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you make a purchase. You can read our full disclosure here.
This wet burritos recipe is the perfect weeknight meal. Full of delicious, seasoned ground beef and topped with a brown sauce. Easy and quick to throw together and kid friendly. Everyone will want more.
My middle daughter absolutely loves taco Tuesday. She would happily have Mexican fare every night of the week, but when I tell her it’s taco Tuesday? Oh, it’s on.
While our taco Tuesday’s generally consist of tacos, sometimes it’s some other Mexican dish that we put upon our plates. This week, it was one of my favorite recipes. Wet burritos.
Once upon a time, when I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain a pound, I would eat these gigantic wet burritos from a restaurant called Hacienda. They were so good. You ordered one giant one and it was enough for a couple of meals.
Now that I’m older and can’t eat whatever I want. Who am I kidding? If I so much as look at food, I gain a pound. Nor can I afford it and much prefer the deliciousness of a home cooked meal. I decided to try my hand at making my own. I, as well as my family, am very pleased with the results.
These wet burritos are full of flavor. From the seasoned beef to the delicious sauce they’re smothered in. They’re not spicy, but the perfect blend of spices to make them delicious without making them too hot for the kids to enjoy.
Even if you’re not a huge fan of Mexican food, these are sure to randomly make your mouth water and crave having one. Not when you finally get around to it… but now.
They’re also incredibly quick to throw together on a weeknight which makes them perfect for taco Tuesday. While not tacos, I can assure you no one is going to complain.
I tend to make these wet burritos a bit smaller than the restaurant I used to enjoy them from. I just make more of them. It’s mostly because I have yet to find a burrito shell that can hold all of that goodness in gigantic form without splitting open. But, I digress. It also makes it easier if you make them a little smaller, plus no food is wasted because you can keep the left-overs and warm them up. If you make them large, be forewarned, your refrigerator is likely to be overflowing with half eaten burritos for a few days.
I decided to go ahead and look up a recipe for these, and I found several. But most of them were super involved and I have three kids. No one has time for that, truly.
If you’re not entirely sure what a wet burrito is, it is pretty much exactly what it says. A burrito… that’s wet. Kind of like an enchilada, but way better. It’s filled with traditional burrito fare and smothered in a sauce. Yum….
They’re delicious, and who doesn’t love delicious. You’ve gotta give these a try.
What You’ll Need:
- 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Prepared Enchilada Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Taco Seasoning
- 2/3 Cup Beef Broth
- 1 Cup Prepared Beef Gravy
- Refried Beans
- Flour Tortilla Shells
- Mexican Cheese Blend
- Sour Cream
- Begin by browning off the ground beef. Drain and return to pan.
- Top with taco seasoning and beef broth. Mix well to incorporate. Allow to simmer until cooked down.
- For the sauce, mix together the enchilada sauce and the beef gravy. Heat over medium heat until just starting to bubble.
- Place a generous helping of refried beans in the center of a large tortilla shell.
- Next, place a generous helping of the taco meat. Top with cheese, lettuce, and tomato.
- Fold into a burrito and place in a large baking dish.
- Repeat until you have 6 burritos in your baking dish.
- Top the burritos with the sauce. Then, generously top with cheese.
- Place the burritos in an over preheated to 350F. Allow to warm about 15 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, or anything else you enjoy.
Do you have a favorite dish for taco Tuesday?
Other Easy Recipes You’ll Love: