Organic apple cider vinegar is ahhhmaaazing. Seriously, if you don’t have a bottle (or four) you need to get some. It is one of the most versatile, useful, natural substances you can have in your home. You can use it in cooking, you can use it in cleaning, and it has a gazillion uses for health and beauty! It’s also incredibly inexpensive.
ACV has been used for centuries. You know what? It only has three calories per Tablespoon! That is pretty awesome. It has antimicrobial, antiviral, and anti fungal properties. You can use it to flavor your salad, clean up your kitchen, and heal your sore throat. Among many other things.
This is not by any means an exhaustive list, the uses of apple cider vinegar are endless, but here’s a few to get you started!!
Sixty Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
- Deodorize. Place a bowl of vinegar in a room with any strong odor and it will rid the room of the smell!
- Rinse aid. You can use acv in place of your dishwasher rinse aid for sparkling, spot free dishes.
- Fabric softener. For a chemical-free version, just use it in place of your toxic fabric softener for soft, fluffy clothes, cheap!
- Washing machine cleaner. These new high efficiency washers have a tendency to get pretty dirty. Use 2 cups in place of your regular washer cleaner.
- Remove mildew. Take mildew out of refrigerators or tubs by wiping off with a rag soaked in acv.
- Toilet bowl disinfectant. Pour two cups into the bowl and let sit overnight. Disinfected and odor free in the morning!
- Clean coffee maker. Place a 2:1 ratio of vinegar in water in the water reservoir. Run through a brew.
- Disinfect cutting boards. Wipe with full strength vinegar to rid them of bacteria.
- Furniture polish. Mix 1/4 cup acv, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, and 2 cups of water. Viola, homemade pledge.
- Degreaser. Mix 1:1 ratio of vinegar with water. Wipe greasy residue off with rag soaked in solution.
- Sticker remover. You don’t need goo be gone. Just soak sticker (or sticky area) with some acv for about a half hour. Scrape off.
- Electronic cleaner. Mix 1:1 ratio with water. Wipe down computers, TVs, keyboards, you name it. It also takes all the icky germs away!
- Hearth brightener. Mix 1 cup of acv in a gallon of water, wipe off hearth with a rag soaked in the solution. Your fireplace will love you! You can use it on other exposed brick in your home too.
- Rug freshener. Mix a quart of water with 1/4 cup of acv. Place some in a spray bottle. Spray your rugs and allow to sit for a few. Vacuum them after it is dry.
- Carpet stain remover. Mix 2 Tablespoons salt with 1/2 cup of vinegar. Pour solution on stain. Rub it in, allow to dry. Vacuum as usual.
- Drain cleaner. Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain. Follow with 1 cup of acv. After it stops sudsing, run some hot tap water down the drain.
- Stainless steel cleaner. Wipe em down with a rag soaked in vinegar!
- Microwave cleaner. Place 1/2 cup of acv mixed with 1 cup of water in a microwave safe bowl. Place it in the microwave and turn it on for 5 minutes on high. Allow to cool, then wipe everything away with ease.
- Pots & pans scrub. Mix equal parts salt and flour. Add just enough acv to make a paste. Scrub thoroughly, rinse, dry.
- Anti-frost spray. Cold where you are? Keep your car windows from frosting over! Mix 3:1 ratio of vinegar and water. Spray windows and wipe clean. No more frost for a few weeks!
- Sore throat soother. You can use my recipe on this post. Or gargle a 50/50 water vinegar solution.
- Clear nasal passages. Just add a teaspoon to a cup of water and drink.
- Acne treatment. Mix 1:4 ratio with water and wipe face.
- Liver cleanse. Mix a teaspoon in a glass of water to help cleanse your liver.
- Relieve sunburn. Add a cup to your bath to relieve painful symptoms of sunburn.
- Laxative. Drink a shot when you’re feeling backed up to get things going again.
- Disinfectant. Place on a wound to kill any bad bacteria.
- Alleviate acid reflux. Drink a shot in place of your current acid reflux medication.
- Treat ringworm. Make sure the area is completely dry. Apply straight acv 3 to 5 times a day until gone.
- Remove warts. At bedtime place a cotton ball soaked in acv on wart. Secure in place and leave overnight. Continue for about two weeks (even after the wart falls off).
- Yeast infection treatment. Drink 2 Tablespoons mixed in a cup of water 2-3 times a day, preferably on an empty stomach. It helps balance out your flora.
- Treat poison ivy. Soak a paper bag in apple cider vinegar. Place it on the rash to draw out the toxins.
- Lower blood pressure. Mix 1 tablespoon acv with 1 tablespoon honey. Place in a cup of water. Drink twice a day.
- Athlete’s foot treatment. Soak affected foot (feet) in warm water and apple cider vinegar until water is cold. Air dry.
- Cure swimmer’s ear. Mix equal parts rubbing alcohol, water, and acv. Place 3-4 drops in affected ear(s).
- Soothe an upset stomach. Mix 2 teaspoons acv, 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger water, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon honey, add to a cup of carbonated water.
- Stop hiccups. Drink a teaspoon. I bet they go away.
- Get rid of bad breath. Add 1/2 tablespoon to a cup of water, gargle for ten seconds.
- Soothe a sting or bug bite. Just dot the affected area with straight acv. Reapply every hour or so as needed.
- Relieve dry skin. Put two tablespoons in your regular bath.
- Alleviate chest colds and sinus infections. Add 1/4 cup to a vaporizer.
- Cough syrup. 1/2 cup each of acv and water, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 4 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Kidney detox. 2 Tablespoons in a liter of water. Drink throughout the day, daily to cleanse your body of toxins.
- Sleep aid. Mix a cup of hot water, a Tablespoon of acv, and a couple teaspoons of honey and drink before you turn out the lights for a more restful night.
- Weight loss aid. ***Disclaimer: this is not proven, but what’s it going to hurt?? Add 2 teaspoons to a cup of water and drink daily.
- Stretch marks and cellulite. It won’t completely get rid of them, but it will reduce their appearance. Mix 1:2 ratio acv and water with a little honey and apply to affected areas. Rinse.
- Hair brightener. Rinse your hair with acv for beautiful shine.
- Treat varicose veins. Soak some gauze in acv. Tie it around lower legs and prop up your feet, leaving it on, for about a half hour. Rinse.
- Toner. Mix equal parts with water. Apply to face with a cotton ball.
- Face mask. Mix 2 Tablespoons each of acv and bentonite clay add to 1 Tablespoon honey. Apply and leave on 10 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
- Teeth whitener. Gargle with acv in the morning, you’ll get fresh breath and whiter teeth.
- Remove age spots. Soak a cotton ball in acv. Dab affected areas right before bed. Rinse off in the morning.
- Treat dandruff. Mix a teaspoon into your regular shampoo. Wash as normal.
- Razor burn remedy. Soak a cotton ball in acv, wipe over affected area(s).
- At home pedicure. Soak your feet in equal parts warm water and acv, get rid of the smelly feet and make them nice and soft!
You didn’t think it was just for people and cleaning did you??
- Prevent fleas. If your pet already has fleas, those need to be taken care of. If they are flea free, you can rinse them in 1 Tablespoon acv mixed with 1 pint of water.
- Deskunk. Sponge vinegar, undiluted onto your pets fur. Don’t get it in their eyes!! Let dry, then shampoo and rinse as normal.
- General health aid. Keep your dog healthy by adding a teaspoon to their bowl of water 2 to 3 times a week.
- Ear cleaner. Soak a cotton ball in acv. Wipe out ears thoroughly.
- Tick remover. Spray them with undiluted acv. They’ll unlatch and you can easily remove them.
See what I mean?? Ahhhhmaaazing. Absolutely fantastic remedy, and I definitely haven’t listed all the awesomeness this solution possesses, this is just the tip of the iceberg. How do you use apple cider vinegar? Share in the comments below!