These easy and delicious foil packets are easy to throw together on a weeknight. They’re full of perfectly seasoned sausage and veggies and sure to be a family favorite any time of year with 3 different ways to cook them!
I absolutely love foil packet dinners. I know I can’t be the only one. They’re super easy to throw together, they’re delicious, and there is very little mess involved. I mean… you can eat them right out of the foil. No dirty dishes. That’s my kinda meal.
I frequently make my famous hobo foil packet dinners in the crockpot year round. I’ve been known to throw them in the campfire, on the grill and in the oven as well. They used to be my go to foil packet dinner.
Then, I realized… I can make all kinds of things in those nifty, mess free packets! I’ve found tons of ideas on Pinterest, but this one was of my own creation. I used to bake this up as a casserole. It’s actually better, easier, and has more options available as a foil dinner, though. So, that’s my go to way of preparation now.
These sausage and veggie foil packets are hands-down one of the easiest meals. I used to only make this dish during the Autumn months (and it’s perfect for that time of year, regardless) because it heated up the house and required an hour of cooking. Then, I realized I could put this stuff in a foil packet, have individual servings and cook it in the crockpot or out on the grill (or even in the fire pit) and not make the house 5,000 degrees.
It’s been so hot lately. Summer seems to really be hanging on even though the calendar says that fall is less than 3 weeks away. I’m craving all of those autumn goodies. The apples and pumpkins, sure. But also the delicious casseroles and savory comfort food dishes that I so throughly enjoy not only eating, but making.
You’ll be so glad you tried these sausage and veggie dinners. They’re super easy, the kids will like them, and I’m including 3 different ways you can cook them up! If you’re pressed for time… grill them! Have time to prep in the morning, throw them in the crockpot. Cooling off and you don’t mind the oven putting off heat? Perfect time to throw them in the oven. They’re delicious any way they’re prepared and sure to be a family favorite.
The secret to making this easy meal absolutely delicious is the herb seasoning. It really takes the flavor over the top. They’re not bland in the least, but they’re not overly spiced, either. It’s really the perfect blend. I really like using smoked pork sausage in this meal, but you could sub chicken or turkey sausage and it would still taste amazing.
This delicious sausage and veggie foil packet dinner is easy to throw together and full of herb seasoned roasted sausage and fresh vegetables.
- 1.5 Lbs Smoked Sausage, coined
- 1 Lb Small Red Potatoes, cubed into bit sized pieces
- 6 Carrots, peeled and coined
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced and halved
- 2 Bell Peppers, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Begin by preparing your vegetables. Peel and coin carrots, wash and dice potatoes, onion, bell peppers, and coin the sausage.
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the seasonings.
- Prepare each packet by grabbing a piece of foil. Place a serving of sausage, carrots, potatoes, onion, and bell pepper in the center of each piece of foil.
- Drizzle each packet with a bit of olive oil.
- Sprinkle around 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mix onto each packet, take a fork to stir it around well. Salt and pepper if desired.
- Close up each packet, securing the ends well so that the heat won't escape.
- Take the completed foil packets and place them into a 6 quart crockpot. It's okay to layer them. The crockpot does not need water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4.
- Preheat grill while preparing packets. Place packets directly on grill grates and grill for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place packets on a baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.