These easy chicken chimichangas are full of slow-cooked seasoned chicken breast and deliciousness. An easy weeknight meal that can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Since we live so far from town, any time we have an errand day, it’s a full day. It makes it difficult to get home and get something on the table for supper sometimes. Plus, errand day usually involves grocery shopping so the last thing on my mind is standing in the kitchen cooking for an hour when I have all of this food to put away.
I love slow cooker meals for days like this. When our schedule is full and I don’t care to spend a ton of time trying to throw together something edible. These chicken chimichangas are perfect for that occasion. While they’re not completely cooked in the slow cooker, the hard work is out of the way once we get home from errands. And I actually want to finish cooking them because the chicken cooking all day smells wonderful.
I can throw the meat in the crockpot before we take off for the day and come home, assemble, fry and enjoy a delicious, home cooked dinner in less than a half hour. That makes it nice and easy to accomplish and we’re not trying to rush to figure out something for dinner at the last minute.
What is a Chimichanga?
A chimichanga is a deep fried burrito. You assemble the burrito, you fasten it with a toothpick, and you fry it till just crisp in the oil. The trouble with a lot of chimichangas is… they’re greasy (obviously). These actually drain really, really well if you don’t douse them into the oil. So, instead of actually deep frying them, I just toss them in a small amount of oil, flip over, and drain on paper towels. It seems to work really well.
My kids actually really like these. The first time they tried them, they said they were too spicy. I went from a mild to a medium salsa, and no complaints since. I guess my kids just can’t handle the heat :P.
Tools I Used for This Recipe:
These easy chicken chimichangas are full of slow cooked, seasoned chicken breast, fried to perfection, and topped with all of your favorites. An easy weeknight meal ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Pint Salsa
- 2 OZ Taco Seasoning, two packets
- 15 OZ Refried Beans
- 1 Cup Mexican Blend Cheese
- 8 8" Flour Tortillas
- Cooking Oil, for frying
- Salsa , (as desired)
- Sour Cream, (as desired)
- Leaf Lettuce , chopped
- Tomato, diced
- Place chicken breasts, jar of salsa, and taco seasoning in a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4 hours (it won't hurt if they're in longer than that).
- Shred chicken.
- Place cooking oil in a deep skillet, just deep enough to cook each side of the chimichanga (about an inch of oil).
- When the chicken is ready, go ahead and start by putting a thin line of refried beans down the center of an 8" tortilla shell.
- Next, place a spoonful of shredded chicken mixture and some cheese on top of beans.
- Fold in sides of shell, then bring in the ends and overlap. Secure with a toothpick.
- Place chimichanga in the pan of heated oil. Brown on each side, turning once. It only takes about 1-2 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Top finished chimichangas with salsa, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and any other desired toppings.
Are you looking for a group of like-minded people that love the heritage way of life??
Me too. Join our facebook group, where we learn about growing a garden, cooking a meal, and living life like our grandparents did. You’ll be glad you did. Join The Self Sufficient Life group here.
Other Recipes You’ll Love