Prior to 2011, I didn’t even know homesteading was a thing, at all. I thought homesteading was an act that was passed back in the day for people to stake their claims and live off the land. I had no idea people lived like that today. I thought everyone went to the store, bought their food that was grown by some stranger, went to their 9-5, came home and chilled in front of the idiot tube. I sincerely did. Having children made me hungry for a different way of life than we had.
So, when I became a stay at home mom, I started digging for information. I discovered the going back to the land movement, read a few books, and I was inspired. Genuinely, deep down, “I wanna do that too”, inspired! It’s changed my life, y’all. If someone would have told me 7 years ago that I would be working toward moving onto my dream homestead, growing my families food, buying local, reading books about animal husbandry, and dreaming of cows and chickens I would have scoffed at them. Say what? Me wanting acres of land, a barn, and a menagerie of animals? Nah….
But it is me. I am not the woman I was before I had our children, at all. And that is totally cool! So, after years of trying to figure out our way out of this rat race, The Rustic Elk was born. What better way to inspire and educate others to embrace this lifestyle than to create real, useful resources for them? I hope I inspire you to embrace the simple life, as that is my ultimate hope for you!
Here are some of the inspirational resources you’ll find on the blog:
- What to look for when buying homesteading land – Whether you’re buying a developed property, or completely virgin ground, you should ask these questions to know exactly what you’re getting into.
- 32 Tips on Becoming a Minimalist – Ditching materialistic stuff can be so freeing! Besides, adopting a more simplistic life kind of just goes with the territory. If we can do it, you can too!
- 41 Ways to Become More Self-sufficient – Still on the path to your homesteading dreams, or a seasoned pro? Doesn’t matter, there’s something on this list for everyone, regardless on your spot in your journey.
- Is Living off the Land a Pipe Dream? – I hear this a lot “you can’t live without conventional employment.” Well, I’m here to tell you, you can and living off the land is alive and well. Just think outside the box! Here are 18 ideas to inspire you!
- Our about page, which is a bit more of an in depth look of where we’ve been and where we’re headed.
- Be sure you don’t miss out! Sign up for free emails with recent posts and behind the scenes updates!